Wednesday, September 5, 2012

On Sovereignty



Blessings, Courageous Ones!

Lately, I’ve been spending a lot of time thinking about Sovereignty.  What exactly is Sovereignty as I implement it in my own life?

I’m discovering my definition of Sovereignty as my right and responsibility to make choices for myself, independent of the thoughts and judgments of others.  Sovereignty means standing in my own Truth and Authentic Self, even when others don’t agree.  There are many elements of independence and autonomy evident in Sovereignty; it is about taking responsibility for my own life and not looking outside of myself for “permission” or “guidance” when I know what my Truth is.  An Empowered Queen is Sovereign of her own Realm.  An Empowered Queen is the supreme power and authority in her own life.

True Sovereignty always partners “authority with responsibility”.*


Sovereignty is the quality of having supreme, independent authority over a geographic area, such as a territory. It can be found in a power to rule and make law that rests on a political fact for which no pure legal explanation can be provided. In theoretical terms, the idea of "sovereignty", historically, from Socrates to Thomas Hobbes, has always necessitated a moral imperative on the entity exercising it.

For centuries past, the idea that a state could be sovereign was always connected to its ability to guarantee the best interests of its own citizens. Thus, if a state could not act in the best interests of its own citizens, it could not be thought of as a “sovereign” state.

The concept of sovereignty has been discussed throughout history, from the time of the Romans through to the present day. It has changed in its definition, concept, and application throughout, especially during the Age of Enlightenment. The current notion of state sovereignty is often traced back to the Peace of Westphalia (1648), which, in relation to states, codified the basic principles:

·         territorial integrity
·         border inviolability
·         supremacy of the state (rather than the Church)
·         a sovereign is the supreme lawmaking authority within its jurisdiction

I identify “territorial integrity” as it applies to my own Realm; as Ava Park says, “that which you are 100% responsible for.” “Border inviolability” is then the boundaries I hold for myself and for my Realm.  “Supremacy of the state” means that I am the final authority in my own Realm, and this makes me the “supreme lawmaking authority within its jurisdiction.”  I am 100% responsible for what happens within my Realm—this is what is meant by “responsibility with authority.”* We can have no true authority without responsibility, and no true responsibility without authority.

In the bigger picture right now, there is a lot of energy in the political culture of the United States around taking away women’s reproductive Sovereignty.  As Empowered Queens, and as supporters of Empowered Queens, we must stand for the right of each Woman to determine what is correct for her.  Each of us must be the author of, and authority within, our own lives.  Legally removing a woman’s personal authority is immoral, whether it involves reproduction or any other right.

When women honor and listen to the Empowered Sovereign Queen within, the world changes for the better.  We are no longer “little girls” looking to a partner to complete our lives, to make our decisions for us, to protect and shield us from our personal knowledge and Truth.  We can enter into partnerships while standing in our own actualized power-within, our own Authentic Self, and how beautiful is that?  We then have the freedom to form relationships based upon respect, self-determination, and interdependence instead of that reactionary place of co-dependence, self-doubt, and disenfranchisement.  Within this model, we, our children, and other loved ones would find integrity.  This creates a harmony of giving and receiving, which is empowering and life-supporting for the greatest good of all involved.

What does my Sovereignty look like right now?  I choose how I want to practice my Spirituality, and with whom I wish to practice it on a regular basis.  I am free to build coalitions with others who may or may not be part of my Sisterhood, which is solely devoted to the needs and interests contained in Women’s Blood Mysteries.  I choose the energies present in my home and the energies I allow in the form of others in my life.  I create the systems that work best for me.  I listen to the wise counsel of my Trusted Ones and I listen to the wise counsel of my own heart. I continue my Shadow Work and the learning that leads me to who I authentically am in any given moment.  I open my heart and mind to what is True for me.

I invite you to find out what Sovereignty means to you.

Blessed be!
Lady Jesamyn Angelica

*The wisdom of Rev. Ava Park, Queen of Your Realm, The Queen Teachings for Women

My deep, deep gratitude to this dynamic Woman, Teacher, and Empowered Queen.  If you are unable to learn from Ava in person, she offers an online course beginning on October 23, 2012 as well as personalized, one-on-one Queen’s Counsel.  Email info@goddesstempleoforangecounty.com or call 949-651-0564 for more information or to register.  Her teachings will change your life for the better!  See also:  http://www.goddesstempleoforangecounty.com



2 comments:

  1. Sister Queen,

    I loved reading this post. The energy and archetype of "Queen" is rising for I have posted on it today as well as seeing posts from others.

    I too find my Self passing through the veil from the Mother mysteries, into the realm of my own unique expression/experience/journey of embracing and empowering the Queen within. I find it is directly linked as I enter into the portal of peri-menopause. Her invitation echos through my Change.

    I have not met Ava, nor taken part in her teachings, most of my work has been solitary within my own community... but am very interested in her online course that you share begins in October.

    Thank you for your sharing ~

    bLeSs!
    Lady Ayla Mellani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sister-Queen,

    Thank you so much for your feedback on my blog post! I really appreciate that you took the time to write.

    Yes! The Queen archetype is being reborn and rediscovered, and I think this bodes well for the future of women. When we all learn to embody the Queen at appropriate times, we can step gracefully into the cycle of giving and receiving, of being and doing.

    I highly suggest Ava's teachings for all women.

    Blessed be!
    Lady Jesamyn

    ReplyDelete