Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Beginning Explorations on Ethics



Blessings, Courageous Ones!

This is the Sisterhood of the Moon’s third year of celebrating the Full Moon together.  As our circle grows and as time continues on, I have concluded that it necessary to develop a Code of Ethics for our group.  To this end, I have begun taking a class called Ethics & Professional Practice for Neopagan Clergy through the Wild Woman Collective School (http://wildwomancollective.com/).  This text for this class is Ethics & Professional Practice for Neopagan Clergy by Dr. Katherine MacDowell.  I anticipate sharing many of my thought processes and findings with you on this topic as I journey through this class during the next twelve weeks.

My definition of ethics as a Leader of a spiritual group currently encompasses all of these concepts:  cultural ethics, rules of conduct for the group, and my own personal moral principles. 

What are the ethics of the greater culture we are working within?  Do we, as a spiritual group of women, agree with these greater cultural ethics?  As the High Priestess of a Women’s Spirituality circle, there are several greater cultural ethics that I do not agree with and do not believe have a place in our group.  I believe women are equal to men, and should have equal opportunities in education and career choices.  I believe women are Sovereign and have the right to make any and all decisions for themselves regarding their bodies and what happens to and within them.  I believe that each woman has the right and responsibility to define for herself what her spirituality looks like, how it will be practiced, and with whom.

As noted above, I am primarily exploring what a Code of Ethics would look like for our circle, and how to implement this for its health and longevity.  What are the Rules of Conduct for our group? What are the Expectations?  Why is it my responsibility to create the Code of Ethics for our circle? 

As Founder, Leader, and Presiding Priestess, I am 100% responsible for the Realm of the Sisterhood of the Moon. Because women make an intentional choice to circle with our Sisterhood, I am invested with the authority necessary to do what is best for our group.  As our group grows and as time goes on, it is imperative that all participants understand the ethics of our circle and know what the Expectations are for participation.

I have witnessed so many circles fail and when I look back, I have noticed that in all cases it was primarily because of two things:  1) Questionable ethics of the group leader(s), and 2) The lack of a Code of Ethics/Agreements that all in the group understood and made the choice to embody.  By setting up a Code of Ethics now, while our circle is still young, women who find us can decide before they come to the group if my personal ethics and the group’s Code of Conduct align with their personal moral principles.  This sets up a system that has a greater chance of success, as all members are aware of who we are and what we stand for.

When I am strong and grounded in my own personal Code of Ethics, the proper women—those who are aligned with my moral principles and the group’s vision—are called to join the circle I lead, and all of our magick grows stronger.  There are no questions about who we are and why we are gathering together in this container.  We can use our energy for our shared goals and passions instead of leaking energy because we do not share a vision.

How do you approach ethics in your own circles?  What type of Expectations do you have for those who circle with you?  Does your group have a written Code of Ethics?  I invite your feedback.

Blessed be!
Lady Jesamyn Angelica
High Priestess, Sisterhood of the Moon

No comments:

Post a Comment